Leadership

Top Leadership Characteristics That Make an Awesome Leader

By May 13, 2021May 19th, 202110 Comments

Leaders are the people who shape organizations, communities, and nations. Leadership characteristics, needed now more than ever to help guide and make necessary large-scale decisions that will keep the world out of harm’s way.

Most people consider age as a decisive factor when identifying a good leader, but age is just a number. Some people are born with leadership qualities, while others learn them as they age. Therefore, if a young person is brave enough to step up and take responsibility, then he/she shouldn’t be dismissed just because of their age.

Our society doesn’t waste a single minute to identify a bad leader, but do we know how to spot a good leader? There are different perceptions about the characteristics of a leader. Therefore, we’re about to mention the top leadership characteristics that make an effective leader.

Continue reading to find out characteristics of effective leadership

Effective communication

You can’t be a successful leader if you don’t possess effective communication skills. Leaders are required to communicate in a variety of ways, from coaching people to spreading information. And that’s not all; you must be able to listen while communicating with a huge range of people across different roles and social identities. The effectiveness and quality of communication across your organization will directly impact the success of your business.

Integrity

Integrity is the one thing that separates good leaders from bad ones. Although it might not necessarily be a metric in employee evaluations, integrity is still essential for the individual along with the organization. Integrity is very important for top executives who are responsible for charting the organization’s course and making important decisions. People with the characteristic of integrity are naturally valued over others. No one wants a leader who keeps on changing his/her statements, views, and opinions over things.

Learn more Leadership Characteristics in my book “Manager To Leader” here

Self-Awareness

This is more of an inwardly focused skill but makes no mistake; self-awareness is important for leadership. No one wants to have a delusional leader who doesn’t know the ground realities and keeps talking about unrealistic matters. The better a leader understands him/herself; the more effective they can be in achieving their goals. Do you know how other people view you when you show up for an event? A leader should understand themselves before understanding their team.

Ability to represent

Representation is one of the core characteristics of a leader. But, at times, it can be tricky to represent effectively. Representation isn’t just talking about your team/organization, its facilitating teamwork which leads to better decision making and also assists in helping your direct reports grow. If you’re looking to work on your representation skills, then you should build trust with your team as well.

Gratitude

You should always be thankful as it will make you a better leader. Gratitude can lead to reduced anxiety and depression, increased self-esteem, and it can even lead to better sleep. Few people regularly say thank you at work, while most of the time, people will tell you to work for a boss who doesn’t even know your name.

Influence

Most people think that influence feels like a bad word, but the ability to convince people through emotional, logical, or cooperative means is a component of being an effective, inspiring leader. Influence and manipulation isn’t the same thing as influence is done authentically and transparently. It needs emotional intelligence along with trust.

Being a leader is indeed difficult, but by working on these characteristics, you can easily turn yourself into a leader.

I welcome hearing how this post has influenced the way you think, the way you lead, or the results you have achieved because of what you’ve learned in it. Please feel free to share your thoughts with me by commenting below.

Check out my other articles by Clicking HERE

Learn more Leadership Characteristics in my book “Manager To Leader” here

All the best,

Tom (LeadGrowInfluence)

10 Comments

• Julius says:

Hey Tom. I enjoy reading your blog posts, as they are always full of wisdom. I agree that age is making no difference in defining if someone could be a great leader or not. Also the other elements you named as integrity, self-awareness especially are much more important than age. Question on you would be though, do you feel that the world leaders have the abilities to be great leaders? Looking at the Covid-19 pandemic and how it was managed in countries all around the world, can really doubt that…Thanks for your great quality content, Tom. Cheers.

• admin says:

Hi Julius,

Thank you for your comment. I’m really happy that you enjoy reading my blog posts.

I thought I would change it up a bit with this post, and I’m glad that you still found it valuable. I do believe that our world leaders have the ability to be great leaders. Every single person in the world has the ability to be a great leader. The difference is, are they willing to practice doing and being what a great leader is.

Keep returning, keep engaging and keep leading.

All the best,

Tom

• Tom,

I love that you mention integrity for a good leader. Although, I must say, it’s not something that’s common in the US anymore when it comes to corporations. I’ve worked at several over the course of my life, and when it comes to integrity, executives simply don’t have that. Anytime I get into a new role in any company, I always hope that the leaders have integrity. However, it takes months to figure out that they often don’t. Many might think that in order to be promoted, this would be commonplace to have integrity, but they’re blinded by the greed of their new paycheck, and seek to increase that through more and more promotions, thus leaving the rest behind.

In my last job, my boss was constantly changing her opinions to better suit her needs. One day, she would say one thing, and the next recant on that. I would often question this, especially when it sounded askew, and she would simply say, “Do as I say.” One of the reasons I actually lost my job last year was because of her lack of integrity at work. But, she’s still there, and I’m here, struggling to make my business successful because I really didn’t want to do the same thing again in my life and think I would get different results. No, I’m smarter now and have learned that I have to take my own life into my hands.

But, I often question how long it takes for Karma to kick in. I’m a huge believer in it, and she still has yet to lose her job, or become miserable in some way. Well, I guess I can’t say that, I don’t really keep tabs on her. But, I still have friends at my old job who tell me, much to my dismay, that she’s still employed, even though she’s scandalous and is often trying to find new and inventive ways to fire people. Her favorite thing.

Anyway, I agree with having integrity. It’s just a shame that it is rare in the corporate world, especially in the US.

Thanks for sharing this!

Katrina

• admin says:

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for your very detailed comment. I’m really pleased that you found the article valuable and obviously thought provoking.

The goal of my blog posts is to help people to think a bit deeper about their own leadership and the leadership around them. Then hopefully take action on what they learn. There will be so many people who read this who will learn from you just as much as they can from me.

Keep returning, keep engaging and keep leading.

All the best,

Tom

• Ivan says:

Thanks, Tom, for sharing this post with us. I agree with you. A leader could be anyone. Good leadership is not defined by age only. Even a young person can lead a team of more experienced people if he or she is bold and brave enough to take all the responsibilities.

As for the qualities and characteristics of an awesome leader, I would say that four are equally important. Most importantly, a great leader should always know how to influence people to do better, perform higher, and do their work to their best abilities.

As always, I learned a lot from your post!

• admin says:

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your comment. I’m really happy that you learned a lot from this article.

A leader most certainly can be anyone. Every person in the world has the ability to influence, so therefore we all have the ability to lead. We do not need a job title or a position to be a leader. We can be a leader from any place in an organisation or a community.

Keep returning, keep engaging and keep leading.

All the best,

Tom

• Kavitha says:

I enjoyed reading your post. It is an incredibly informative article for anyone who knows how to choose a leader. These characteristics are important for an individual to grow as a leader. On the other hand, every individual must know how to choose their leaders in an organization, political leaders everywhere.

• admin says:

Hi Kavitha,

Thank you for your comment. I’m so pleased that you found the article incredibly informative.

I completely agree that we need these characteristics to grow as a leader. If our political leaders could display these characteristics every single day, then imagine how different our world could be.

Keep returning, keep engaging and keep leading.

All the best,

Tom

• Thank you for this article man.
    Great pearls of wisdom man. In my life I have broken so many so called status quo where I was told that many things would never happened because of my age. I did this in sports and also business where I started by ballroom dancing school which is full functional and employing many people. I did all this at the age of 27.
    So I do concur with you when you say that wisdom has nothing to do with age.

• admin says:

Hi Thabo,

Thank you for your comment. It’s great that you found the article valuable.

Thank you for sharing your expereinces and you are right, wisdom has nothing to do with age. I have had people say to me that I am too young to be writing about leadership, which is totally wrong in my opinion.

Keep returning, keep engaging and keep leading.

All the best,